Hotel Monte Rosa,
for more than a hundred years working for our guests
Our familiar ambience and wide range of services allow our guests to experience a relaxing atmosphere, but at the same time complete with every comfort
The name ʺMonte Rosaʺ comes from the mountain above Rapallo (GE) where the newlyweds from Chiavari, Luigia Rocca and Luigi Bacigalupo (grandparents of the current owners) went on their honeymoon.
The two had lunch in the lovely restaurant of the same name, genuine food and a friendly but refined atmosphere: it was a thunderbolt. So they decided they wanted to open their own restaurant, promising to call it by this name.
Thanks to the commitment and tenacity of the two, their secret dream soon became reality, coming to life in their beloved town: Chiavari.
“The name Monte Rosa and the restaurant itself,” – the brothers Bacigalupo explain – “are the result of the dream, the love and the constant dedication of our grandparents, who, with great sacrifices, started a business to maintain their ever growing family”
In 1909, with a simple handshake, the two took over some of the premises from the Marquises Marana and began preparing traditional dishes for their patrons. Despite the economic difficulties of the time, thanks to the dedication and commitment of all the family members (in the meantime, six children had been born), the Bacigalupo family managed to buy the premises and add a few rented rooms to the now established trattoria.
The current Sala Rosa, which can accommodate up to 80 people, was built as early as 1932 and was blessed by Monsignor Luigi Marinetti, then parish priest of Rupinaro, after whom the hotel’s street was named.
“The children, including our parents,” – the Bacigalupo family continue – “ʺmarried and joined the family business and all worked and lived together in the current structure, knowing no holidays or rest.
To cope with all their commitments, they managed a number of venues also famous in the history of Chiavari during the summer (Bar del Lido, La Capannuccia and the Bar at the Cantero Theatre during gala evenings)”.
Between the 1960s and 1970s, they also managed to complete the third floor of the hotel, reaching a total capacity of 76 rooms.
The restaurant’s Great Hall was also created, while the central garden room was covered to accommodate more diners.
The location of the bar was changed to improve access; the small lobby was renovated and the current underground garage was built.
In the 1980s, the last son, Franco, renovated all the rooms, equipping them with private bathrooms; he renovated the restaurant area and the kitchens, leaving the five sons with a comfortable structure suited to the needs of the time and recommended by the Michelin Guide since 1950.
To date, the grandchildren (the current managers) have wished to further improve the Hotel,, a reference point for hospitality on the entire Riviera, with the completion of the outdoor area with the beautiful swimming pool and whirlpool, the SoleLuna terrace, where all kinds of events are organised, the new Hall, the Reception and the renovation of 25 rooms Deluxe, Junior Suite and Suite.